Conference Code of Conduct for Professionals
The National Society is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable conference to all participants. Professionalism and respect for all individuals during this conference is pertinent to our continued efforts to bring you a successful event. We ask that all professional attendees adhere to the following guidelines:
- All participants are required to behave in a professional manner at all times. Harassment and sexist, racist, or exclusionary comments or jokes are not appropriate. Harassment includes sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, sexual attention or innuendo, deliberate intimidation, stalking, and photography or recording of an individual without consent. It also includes offensive comments related to individual characteristics, for example: age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, nationality or religion (in-person or through technology). Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned (according to the severity of the action such as criminal actions will be reported as required by law) or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
- All communication(s) should be appropriate and sensitive to a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds. Communications to audiences should be honest, accurate to the best of your knowledge, should not violate any laws or public policy. Sexual or sexist language and imagery is not appropriate. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
- Sponsors, exhibitors, guest speakers, and hired or volunteer conference staff are included under the professional code of conduct. They must adhere to all policies. Anyone found violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
- If you witness any concerning behavior during the conference, please report it immediately to a NSBP Executive Board Member (President, Past-President, Administrative Office, Technical Officer, Treasurer, or Past-Treasurer). You will be asked to provide a written statement, however, you may remain anonymous.
- In the event of a major incident that endangers the safety of anyone attending the conference, NSBP will intervene, as well as hotel/venue security or local law enforcement will be contacted.
We expect all participants to follow these rules at conference and workshop venues and conference-related social events. Thank you for helping to make all NSBP events and conferences welcoming for all.